Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Introduction of Stars and Stripes Soccer Blog

Soccer in the United States has arguably never been more popular. Just one year ago, the U.S. Men's National Team (USMNT) captivated us with a run for the ages, winning its group for the first time in history after a Landon Donovan goal that I still have to relive on YouTube just to remember how I felt running around screaming and hugging fellow fans at a local watering hole when I should have been at work.

This past summer's USA vs Japan Women's World Cup Final drew the second largest television ratings for a women's soccer match in history and brought Americans of all ages to the edge of their seats in a classic championship match.

This blog will be dedicated to my thoughts on the USMNT and USWNT as they compete around the world in both tournament and friendly action. Qualifying for the World Cup on the men's side begins for the USA in June, and new coach Jurgen Klinsmann has infused enthusiasm for, and brought higher expectations to, the red, white, and blue. On the women's side, this is a bit of a down time in the wake of their World Cup success, but things will heat up leading into the Summer Olympics in 2012.

I look forward to sharing my opinions and reading yours! Please feel free to comment as often as you would like. I plan to organize some gatherings to cheer on the USA in person. You can also follow me on Twitter (adifranco77) for quick thoughts on soccer and other issues in sports and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment